Monday, January 24, 2011

Psalms

I think that the Psalms got on my radar again when I began singing them with the St. Francis choir during Sunday service.  I miss singing them as they are so lovely.  Last year I reread them so will not read them all again now.  Suffice it to say - when you begin to pay attention to the Psalms you are tuning in to the beauty and wisdom of the Bible and to God.

At first, the Psalms can put you off because there is so much mention of battle and killing of foes.  But as we all face battles in our lives, you begin to identify with these 150 songs of the ancient Kings David and Solomon.  And having read about the very real battles and foes they faced in the Torah and the historical books you understand the origin of the Psalms.  And if you keep reading you are rewarded with some of the most beautiful poetry.

Though there are many more elegant metaphors in the psalms, my all-time favorite is Psalm 131 attributed to David.
"Lord, my heart is not proud;
  nor are my eyes haughty.
I do not busy myself with great matters,
  with things too sublime for me.
Rather, I have stilled my soul,
  Hushed it like a weaned child.
Like a weaned child on its mother's lap,
  so is my soul within me.
Israel, hope in the Lord,
  now and forever."

Psalms are laments and cries for help and songs of comfort and then thanks and praise.  

Psalm 103 Part 3 and 128 and 139, 142, 146  are favorites too.
I also like to remember that these psalms were prayed by Jesus as the psalms were the Hebrew psalter and were daily prayers for the Jews in Jesus' time.

No comments:

Post a Comment