Monday, January 24, 2011

Job and the beginning of the Books of Wisdom

This is a book I love and never tire of reading.  And it is a book that is best understood having read the Torah I think.  The first time I read it before reading the Torah I was taken with Job's righteous calling for God to come down and explain to him Himself why his life was turned upside down as Job knew he had done his best to be obedient on earth.  He would not have called to God had he not believed he was God.  Sometimes I have prayed like that.  It is a kind of prayer born of deep need.  After reading the Torah and re-reading Job I see that when God comes down to speak with Job( and isn't that wonderful - God is not distant, but near) he sets Job straight.  He tells Job that he cannot and will not ever understand everything ever.  Again, as in the Torah, God makes the distinction between Himself and man.  And Job who now has seen God, believes him and understands his position in the scheme of creation.  He accepts he is created by God and repents.  He has a change of heart!!!!

With Job, we have entered the Books of Wisdom of the Bible.  Some that are in my Catholic Bible are not in my Episcopalian Bible(including the one called Wisdom).  I don't have a clue why not because I love these books of the Bible.  Ask about that.  The wisdom section of the Bible begins with Job and ends when Isaiah begins with the next section - The Prophets.

No comments:

Post a Comment