Thursday, January 20, 2011

Leviticus

My husband tells me the boys in high school used to read Leviticus for all the racy parts.  I must be old, I did not find any particularly racy parts.
The house of Levi, the Levites are the priestly class chosen by God to lead the people out os slavery and into the new home - the promised land.  Interesting that they must also become somewhat the guides of the military battles too.  Also the law-makers and many laws are listed.
When the Hebrews break these laws there is much mention of their being "unclean,"  To be made clean again is usually a mattter of time.  They must wait til sundown frequently and cease all activity.  Occasionally, bathing was involved.  So the laws also preserved their health it seems.  Also their is an emphasis on God with them.  They want to be clean as they are in God's presence.  They are no longer homeless.  They are no longer slaves.  The phrase "I amd the Lord your God" is frequently appearing in the text.
The Sabbath was God's day but also important as a day of rest

No comments:

Post a Comment